top of page
Government support


Vulnerable Adults

If you are a vulnerable resident or you know someone who is, there is support available, for instance with deliveries of food.

You can register here if you have a medical condition that makes you vulnerable to coronavirus. 

Advice here on how to shield and protect vulnerable people.  

Social distancing advice link

Financial Support

There is financial support available for those who may have lost their jobs or seen a fall in their income . The rules on statutory sick pay (SSP) have been relaxed, so employees will get SSP from the first day they’re self-isolating. 

For the unemployed, there is advice on how to apply for Universal Credit.  


Newham Council have also put together a set of measures to assist businesses across the borough, including: 

  • immediately changing the way we collect rates to support local businesses in the hospitality, leisure and retail sectors (including pubs)  

  • introducing a delay of three months in the collection of rents on our properties, to support small businesses with their cash flow  

  • suspending all pitch rental payments for market traders across the borough for an initial period of four weeks  

  • substantially increasing our business support team to offer proactive information and guidance for businesses. 


Grants for business and self employed

The Government has also announced grants for businesses and additional help for the self employed

Businesses can contact our Newham Business Desk for advice on 020 3373 7373, or via email 

bottom of page